Pattern recognition...my Chilean obsessions

I am fascinated by patterns.  Maybe this is why I study landscapes.  Patterns appear at scales as large as a channel network or as small as the ripples.  They reveal that there is some consistently recurring 'rule' that causes the same shape to emerge again and again.  There is a joy in  recognizing these patterns and asking what drives them.  Defects in patterns also provide interesting information.  Defects indicate that the rule has not been followed for some reason.  For example, soil-mantled landscapes typically have smooth, convex hilltops but a landslide creates a local, steep-sided concave depression.  The defining these 'pattern defects' is what enables automated landform analyses that, for example can scan through a DEM and pick out features such as landslides or other anomalies.

        

I also appreciate patterns outside of landscapes and science. Music for example or even the routine schedule of a workday.  When we first moved to Chile, all the newness was overwhelming.  Over the last few months, I have relaxed and begun to sort out the world around me and start recognizing the patterns present in this place, in these people.  This offers familiarity and comfort.  I am sure that over years I would become less aware of these things as I become integrated into the pattern.  But for now I am in that sweet spot between over stimulation and some kind of jaded complacency.

With my science-mind, I like documenting patterns...making time lapse movies that speed up the cycles of the day to show patterns that were otherwise undetectable.  Finding (and fitting into) these patterns gives me some sense of belonging that is so comforting.  It is kind of like first dancing with a new partner...movements start out awkward and uncoordinated but eventually you find a rhythm or connection with the other person and it starts being fun.

I think I might start some kind of photo-documentation of some of my favorite patterns...this is a warning of things to come.


  • the diversity of artwork on bus receipts.  also their lifecycle...where they end up.(littering the ground, in collections, tucked between seat cusions (clearly I am not the first to take an interest in this.)
  • the diversity of design, modification and use of bus stop enclosures. From very modern city things to ramshackle shelters in the counrtyside.  
  Waiting out the rain